Thursday, January 8, 2015

The Accuphase C-200 Preamp - That's the understatement of the day!


The Accuphase C-200 preamp was Accuphase first pre-amp offered in America and began the uncompromising standard of excellence that still exists today. The C-200 was manufactured from 1975 – 1977 if I recall correctly. Cosmetically, this unit is at least an 8 out of 10. There are 4-5 small and shallow scratches in the top edge of the champagne facing – all less than 0.5 inches long. The black paint is almost new condition and has been waxed with a Teflon-based car wax. All lettering on the front and back is perfect, complete and readable. All lamps function. Timeless, classic looks. In looking at the pictures in this listing, they make it appear that the black top has spots and that there are long scratches and spots on the face. I assure you this is junk on the lens or possibly floating in the air when I snapped the pics. These imperfections are NOT present on the unit.

I bought this based on my research specifically about its phono stage. The phono stage has several unique things – gain pots to help adjust for different cartridge outputs; variable cartridge loading from 33k – 100k ohms to help get the absolute most out of your cartridge; and a low frequency boost from 0 to +1dB specifically for phono.



Given its age, I did a few things to it:
  • ALL electrolytic capacitors have been replaced with new Nichicon Fine Gold, Nichicon Muse and even some Blackgates. I stayed with the original capacitance values but in some cases increased the voltage ratings for the new caps. New phenolic mounting boards were made for the replacement power/filter caps since they are significantly different physical dimensions than the original Elnas. Further, the boards are isolated from the chassis by rubber grommets to reduce vibrations to the caps. The original design has the capacitor supports physically coupled to the chassis so all vibrations would be communicated to the capacitors.
  • Other capacitors that were originally electrolytics were replaced with film caps in accordance with the Service Manual as of July 1976. Key signal capacitors were also replaced with upgraded audiophile caps.
  • I replaced the original two blade power jack with a current IEC jack and connected the chassis to the ground lug so you can use your own updated power cord.
  • All pots/switches were cleaned with Caig
  • A generous amount of Dynamat has been added to the chassis for vibrational damping.
I have been using this pre since I completed the work earlier this summer and everything works perfectly on this. I am using Disc 1 for my turntable and Aux for my CD player. Everything is dead quiet. There are probably 50-60 hours on the rebuild- not even broken in yet.

If you are looking at this or other vintage pre-amps, please consider that these units contain a number of electrolytic capacitors. Electrolytics are generally considered to have a lifespan of 15- 20 years, after which they frequently fail and leak acid. This is not urban myth as I have had a few devices destroyed from such leakage. In considering the purchase of any electronic device that is more than 15 years old, you should either (a) realize that all electrolytic capacitors must be replaced soon in order to preserve the performance, integrity and electrical safety of the device, OR (b) ensure this has been done within a reasonable time prior to your purchase of the device.

From what I have read so far, the C-200 is a great preamp and still holds its own with today's modern high end preamps. It also is supposed to have an excellent phono section with two inputs with variable load and gain. This works perfect for me as I have three turntables that I use. I have my mmf-phono pack that I can run on one of the other inputs.

This thing is a tank too, weighing in at 30+ lbs (14kg)!! I couldn't pass up this deal considering what they normally go for. I'm taking a chance on it as it is not tested, but judging from the condition it's in and the feedback of the seller, I'm feeling pretty good about this purchase.

Let me know what you all think!


I have the Accuphase C-200  integrated from the same era and it's wonderful. Accuphase is considered by many as the Japanese McIntosh. There is a lot of love for Accuphase over on AudioKarma, as well as a few Accuphase service gurus in case you need help or direction and don't find it here.

I've compared my Accuphase preamp to a few more modern mid-fi brands that I also own (Luxman, Onkyo, Yamaha) and it is clearly a more sophisticated phono stage. But I still think you can better it with a lot of the "new-generation" phono stages. I would still love to own one though. General philosophy is not to modify it but to restore it by recapping. (Replacing all the electrolytics) I don't have the schematic but i'd say you have 30-40 caps in there. A nice piece.

That's the understatement of the day!

I recapped the C-200, replacing only the eight large filter caps and a couple of resistors that suffered from "resistor rot". After that, I got the ole' girl up and running and it's been doing nothing but surprising the heck out of me! This is truly a state of the art preamp that easily stands its own ground amongst modern preamps costing well beyond $5k, and probably higher dollar units! It can only get better once I get around to replacing all the small electrolytic caps on all the pull-out boards. However, the way it's sounding right now, I don't think I'm in any rush to do that, but it will be done eventually.

In my system, this preamp is creepy spooky! There has to be some kind of perfect synergy going on between my gear because I have never had my systems before put so much life and feeling into the music like this system does, and it has only done this since the C-200 was added. I mean, it did a darn good job before with the KingRex Pre-Amp, but the Accuphase takes it leaps and bounds ahead, and the KingRex is not a preamp to sneeze at. That little digital preamp easily competes with units costing many thousands, both tube and SS. The C-200 is just amazing in the fact that it is such an improvement over the KingRex.

Before

After


1 comment:

  1. I have an Accuphase C-200X, same preamp, just an updated version from 1983.
    I want very much to restore it and would like to know what else you have done with yours.

    Thanks for sharing!

    Rick

    rich_121@live.com

    ReplyDelete